Most people think that;
- when you get older your metabolism slows down
- when you get older you gain weight
- it’s harder to lose weight as you get older
- once you lose weight and gain it back it’s harder to shift next time
Sure some things listed there may actually happen – but we have control over them.
Here are 10 things you can do to get results even as you get older – even if you are a yo yo dieter….
- do some resistance training – ‘experts’ are quick to tell you to do cardio – but building more muscle not only increases the amount of calories you burn, but keeps burning for longer. On top of that – resisteance training strengthens your bone mass.
- Eliminate or reduce your refined carbs… thats anything that’s white basically….(excluding vegetables) – so pastry, white sugar, white flour, buns, donuts, pies, crumbed anything, white bread, crackers….. all of these have empty calories – no fibre and they turn straight to fat.
- Increase your protein intake. You don’t need to elimate carbohydrates- there are plenty of good carbs in fresh fruit and vegetables, frozen veggies etc. So eat more plant based protein (beans, nuts, soy) and lean fish and chicken.
- Eat less or no red meat – it’s high in fat and cholesterol
- Stick to a scientifically proven, nutritionally balanced eating plan that includes high protein meal replacement shakes and healthy fruits, vegetables, fibre and grains. That way you’ll get all the Nutrients you need each day to maintain and repair muscle.
- Walk for 10 minutes a day when and where you can – gradually you’ll feel like doing more
- Don’t go on any fad diets – you’ll lose muscle and water and decrease your metabolism
- Never miss a meal – eat three meals a day – the most important is Breakfast. If you don’t already have a Healthy Breakfast please start on a high quality nutriitionally balanced Protein Meal Replacement Shake asap. It will kickstart your metabolism and get your Resting Metabolic Rate higher
- Find a Buddy to lose some weight with and you can support each other.
- Don’t spend a fortune at the gym – you can lift cans of food, milk containers full of water etc – all great resistance training. Try Yoga too.